Friday, February 13, 2009

When it rains, it pours!

One of the agents from the Speed-Dating session requested to see the first three chapters of Double Vision last Sunday, and a 2-week exclusive read. I granted her the 2-week read and sent the requested work to her as an email attachment. Many agencies are paperless these days, and I, for one, am happy about it. Saves time and money … oh, and trees. Now, I wait for the longest 2-weeks in history to hear whether or not she wants to see more or wants to jump ahead and actually represent me.

Then, when I participated in the multi-author signing last Friday evening, Janet Chapman told me to send her agent a query letter mentioning her name because her agent loves all things "Highlander." I put a letter and color flyer of all three of my books with their respective jacket descriptions in the mail with good thoughts the very next day. Then, while I was home writing on Wednesday, I received a call from Janet's agent!

I was ecstatic, and we talked for a little while getting to know each other. It was a great conversation because, if you read my blog from last week, I wrote the following: Well, if an agent doesn't have a sense of humor, I can't work with them either. This should be a fun, thrilling, creative and rewarding career path. If it's not, why should we do it? Towards the end of our conversation, I swear she said those very words, nearly verbatim. Did she read my blog? Nope. She hates technology; no email, no internet. She just told me everything I'd hoped to hear uttered from a agent's lips.

She wanted a 2-week exclusive read, just like the other agent did, and I told her I already had an agent reading my work. She told me to wait, then send my first book to her. And get this, she said, "I just hope I can contain myself for that long!" It was like music to my ears!

Part of me wants to just send it out, but I want to keep my promise to the first agent, too.

Now what's going through my mind is, what if they BOTH want to represent me? Who should I sign with? They are from different ends of the agent spectrum, but both qualified to represent my cross-genre stories. I hadn't thought of such a situation. Hell, just getting one to look at my work with any seriousness was all I'd hoped for. Now there are two! I love it!

I'll keep you posted on the continuing saga next week.

3 comments:

Cat said...

Things are sounding very exciting up your way!! It will all work out for the best; whichever agent you were meant to get is the one you'll have and you're on your way. I'll keep my fingers crossed but I have no doubts about this going a long way!

Mary Duncan said...

Thanks for the kind words. This time, it feels right.

TerriRainer said...

HOLY CRAP! That is great news!!!!! I'm trying to play catch-up, and it looks like I've missed a lot around here.
:) Terri