Saturday, November 7, 2009

A Cosmic Thing


Today I went to a signing of a couple of Maine authors I've become friends with at the Fertile Mind Bookshop in Belfast, Maine. Great bookstore, and terrific owners, Bruce and LaRue always host a wonderful event.

I went because Janet Chapman just came out with another Highlander book, and I wanted it. It was quite busy when my husband and I walked in, but I found a seat, while my better half went over to talk with Bruce, being the only other male in the place.

Before Janet got to make her first sale, I was already signing one of my own books! Then the we all began talking about the business of writing, as well as tanning beds, campers, naps, and a wonderful herbal remedy to help clear the cobwebs of an overactive mind; SamE.

By the end of the visit (which turned into 2 hours!), I had signed and sold 7 of my books. All at someone else's book signing event!

Was it a cosmic configuration that enabled me to crash an event and make out better than when I do when I'm on the sign outside?

Perhaps.

But I just think great bookstore owners who know their buyers can "guide" those buyers to books they'll enjoy. And, boy can these two do that!

LaRue, thank you!

And Bruce, thanks for entertaining Dan while I do my thing.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Very happy for you Mary! It will only get better. No one can write the way you do and have it go unnoticed. You deserve all the recognition and attention you get. Hope it continues in spades!

Kelly

Cat said...

Everything happens for a reason, don't question it! Just go along with it and keep writing. I'm getting antsy waiting to hear Gregor's story :)

Mary Duncan said...

Kind words...

Thank you both.

Gregor's next adventure is coming along nicely. Characters are being created and honed into themselves, which is always a challenge, but one I enjoy completely.

I've still no idea what I'm going to title it, which is strange for me. By now, I have at least an inkling. I'll just have to wait at little longer for the inspiration to hit me.