Friday, May 1, 2009

Favorite Lines and Chapter Titles

Recently, I've been asked what some of my favorite written lines are in my books. There are a few notables, plus some I just shake my head over, and others that make me all out laugh about. Sometimes I go back over my books for the details I've written so I'm consistent, and wonder where some of this stuff comes from. Surely, I couldn't have been the only one thinking of such a verse; I had to have had help from my characters. It's the only explanation.

Each sentence was enough to evoke a clear image in my mind, or a feeling or memory. I'm always amazed how powerful words  can be when put into the correct context.

And just to make this fun for me (and hopefully, you, too!), I'm not going to tell you from which of my books the verses came from. Let's see if you can remember them.

The dawn bloomed in a lemon sky.

Because when a man comes at me armed wi’ a teacup, I would hae to say that is drunk.

The moon rose large and full, much like Susan’s uterus.   

Cat attempted to ask some questions, but in the gale, the wind sucked the words from her mouth and blew them across town. 

Gregor was given the honors, as he so enjoyed the sport of frightening the life out of mortal men. 

The moon rose brightly in the star-filled sky, a lazy, lopsided oval as if a drunkard drew it.

Gulls drifted overhead as though tethered, gracefully and effortlessly floating on the breeze.

She blew out a breath and in total seriousness said, “I’m too much woman for a man.”

He let out a high-pitched scream that made everyone in the room, including Gregor, jump out of their seats uttering profanities or prayers or nonsensical mumbles of terror.

The wind whipped at her long hair and filled her cloak, making it into a sail of its own. 

Cat leaned back on her elbows, naked, and smiled. 

Ye came in to fetch me and when I saw ye, I couldna move. Yer eyes trapped me in their green garden.

She poured some lavender oil into the water and the smell of it floated on the air like music.

All the public wanted was a distraction, the utterance of the obscene to titillate the senses, the fantasy of the taboo.  

And for chapter titles …

A NOT-SO-JOLLY ROGER
 
THE REST IS SILENCE

THE PAST RETURNS LIKE A BAD PENNY 

A DOG, A LOBSTER, AND AN INDIAN WALK INTO A CABIN

DEATH RIDES A PALE HORSE


I'd love to hear what your favorites were. Let me know.

No comments: